Is there someone in your house who frequently makes messes, or is your carpet showing signs of wear? If this is the case, it may be worth spending a little more money to make spills simpler to clean up and help carpets last a bit longer.
You can achieve this by using carpet protection sprays like Scotchgard. If you want to learn more regarding this game-changing innovation, keep reading! This article will cover everything you need to know about carpet protection sprays.
What Is Scotchgard?
Scotchgard is a carpet protector that promises to keep stains and spills off fabrics and surfaces. These protectors are made to adhere to the fibers on which they’re applied. This implies they won’t leave any hard film or crust on the fabric’s surface.
The particles in the solution are fine enough to cover carpets, furniture, and even clothing while still leaving them soft to the touch. Such treatments are appealing in this regard because they are generally unnoticeable.
What Does Scotchgard Do and How Does Scotchgard Work?
If you make a mess on most untreated carpets, the threads absorb the spill, resulting in stains or odors. Carpet protectors repel dirt and prevent spills from being absorbed by the carpet fibers.
It also safeguards against wear and discoloration in sun-exposed carpets by providing UV protection. It’s especially useful in areas with high foot traffic and households with kids and pets.
Are Carpet Protectors Necessary?
Protector isn’t necessary for all carpets. For instance, applying a water-based protector to polyester, a plastic-based material, doesn’t have any effect.
There are a few solvent-based protectors, but most are water-based, such as Scotchgard.
While some carpets do not require carpet protection, the decision to use them is a personal one.
Nevertheless, using carpet protection spray does offer the following benefits:
- Durability and Protection: Using a stain protector will help your carpets last longer, especially in high-traffic areas. It protects against dirt, mold, germs, water damage, and oil- and water-based stains by adding a layer of protection.
- Easier Cleanup: When having carpets cleaned professionally, using a carpet protector will help remove more stains by allowing spills to be blotted before staining. It makes vacuuming more effective and helps carpet fibers repel dirt.
- Improves Indoor Air Quality: Scotchgard gives soiled carpets, rugs, and furniture an additional layer of protection. Using the wrong cleaning products or practices can wreak havoc on indoor air quality.
How To Use a Carpet Protection Spray
Here are the steps on how to effectively use a carpet protection spray.
Getting Ready To Treat Your Carpet
Starting with a clean carpet is the ideal way to apply carpet protection spray. If you use it on a dirty carpet, it will seal in the stains. Check your papers if your carpet is new since many new carpets already have a protectant on them.
Vacuum unclean carpets thoroughly to remove deep-seated dirt and debris. After that, dry clean them using a cleaning agent, according to the application and extraction instructions.
Applying Carpet Protection Spray
- Prepare: Overspray should be kept away from non-fabric materials. If there is any overspray, wipe it up as soon as possible.
- Shake: Shake the can thoroughly.
- Test: Colorfastness should be checked. Spray an inconspicuous spot until it’s completely wet, then wipe it down with a white absorbent towel. Do not proceed if the color rubs off.
- Spray: Turn the canister upside-down and place it two feet above the carpet. Using a sweeping motion, evenly apply foam to the rug or carpet.
- Maintain a safe distance: Avoid stepping on the rug or carpet while drying, and keep kids and pets away.
- Dry: Allow two to six hours for drying. Apply a second coat for added protection in high-traffic or problematic areas. If some stiffness or white residue lingers after drying because of over-application, vacuum it away.
- Reapply: To sustain and renew protection, reapply every six months or after deep cleaning. The protection’s durability varies depending on the amount of use.
Are There Any Things That Can Reduce Scotchgard’s Effectiveness?
You can’t make a huge mess on your carpets and leave it unscathed just because you’ve used Scotchgard. Spills and stains will need to be cleaned up quickly, but they’ll be far less likely to leave a mark than if no protection was applied.
Spills that are very hot, such as those caused by cooked food, might break down the protection faster than spills that are cool, so always act quickly. Also, when you’ve cleaned up the spill, consider reapplying up your protection.
Scotchgard should be applied by a professional; otherwise, you risk not being adequately protected or altering the carpet’s texture. However, if used appropriately, you’ll be astonished at how successful it can be in maintaining the pristine condition of your carpets.
The Bottom Line
Carpet protection sprays are a great way to maintain the cleanliness of your carpets. Throughout this article, we have given the rundown about carpet protection spray, how it works, and how to use it.
Carpet DryClean‘s carpet cleaning method also includes its built-in carpet protection feature similar to what Scotchgard provides. With our unique dry cleaning solution, we can also keep your carpets clean and fresh for a long time.
To learn more about our dry carpet cleaning services and products, contact us by calling (919) 878-0748. We’d be delighted to help with any of your problems or inquiries.